Sometimes food, sometimes fashion, sometimes just life .................................



Please leave me a comment, I would love to hear your views x


Tuesday 12 October 2010

A whole day of chocolate


I made this - can you believe it? The eyeball features are actually chocolate spheres, and the dust is irridescent edible powder - it is more amazing in real life than in the photograph.
When I left work in March, my colleagues bought me a day's chocolate workshop as a leaving gift, and on Friday 1st October I went along to Slattery's in Whitefield, Manchester and learned how to work with chocolate - it was fantastic! Unfortunately, or rather due to poor planning, I went off to Italy the day after, so I haven't had chance to do any practicing, but now I am home again, I am going to be making chocolate cakes on a weekly basis.
The model I brought home will be perfect for a birthday cake for my daughter - a cake like this which is covered in thin layer of marzipan and then coated with chocolate ganache will keep for around 3 weeks - let's hope it tastes as good as it looks, if not it wont be my fault, the cakes were ready prepped for decoration on the day.
If you live anywhere near Manchester, or are up North for a visit, you should book for morning coffee, lunch or afternoon tea at Slattery's, it is a family business, a confectioner's/cake shop with an amazing display of celebration cakes, then upstairs a tea room/restaurant, and on the top floor a cookery school which offers lots of different options for beginners to professionals. Highly recommended!

1 comment: